Welcome to CityHighAlumni.org
2013 Year in Review
1. Named to "America's Best High Schools" list by Newsweek, The Washington Post, and US News and World Report.
2. "The Little Hawk" student newspaper won a National Pacemaker Award from the National High School Press Association for our online student newspaper. One of only 14 in the USA and the only one in Iowa.
3. City High had the third highest total of National Merit Finalists in the State of Iowa.
4. City High Best Buddies was named the State of Iowa's "Most Outstanding Chapter".
5. City High Jazz Ensemble was selected by audition as the Honor Band for the Iowa Bandmaster's Association conference.
6. City High Concert Orchestra, Symphony Orchestra, and Wind Ensemble all earned Division 1 Superior ratings at state competition.
7. 4th Avenue Jazz Company won the grand championship at the prestigious Linn-Mar "Supernova" show choir competition.
8. Orchestra successfully completed its every other year performance tour of Europe.
9. City High won MVC Championships in football, girls' basketball, girls' tennis, girls' track, and boys' soccer.
10. Shattered school record for number of AP exams administered with 525, and launched, "Project Achieve", a student support group to encourage minority student participation in our AP program.
2014 Run for the Schools
The annual "Run for the Schools" is coming up on October 19th and is a great way to support City High. This event helps to generate funds that support the Library and our PE program.
Here is how it works, City High will receive:
-$100 if 20 members of the City High community participate
-$150 if 40 members of the City High community participate
-$200 if 60 members of the City High community participate
-$250 if 80 members of the City High community participate
This is a great way to support City High, please consider participating or volunteering at this event.
City High School
It’s That Time: Start or Renew your City High Alumni Membership today!
Our Alumni Membership Drive is underway! Annual memberships run from September 1st to August 31st each year. Please know how important your membership is to both current and former City High students. To get a LIFETIME or ANNUAL membership, please click on one of the links to the left.
Your membership dues will provide you with these benefits and help support the following:
· Alumni Newsletter
· Reunion Assistance
· A connection to 11,000+ alumni
· Scholarship for City High grads
· Annual Homecoming parade
· Facility Improvement projects
· Various City High Events and activities
Did you know?
*For the second consecutive year City High has been named to Newsweek Magazine’s prestigious “America’s Best High Schools” list.
*The Iowa State Department of Education named City High #1 in Iowa in the area of “College and Career Readiness”.
*City High has just opened a brand new $6.2 million performing arts center.
*City High has just opened a brand new Project Lead the Way (engineering program)computer lab.
*City High’s Best Buddies program was named National Chapter of the Year!
*City High has just launched four new Advanced Placement courses—AP Psychology, AP Language and Composition, AP Music Theory, and AP Studio Art.
*City High now offers 21 AP classes, one of the leaders in the state of Iowa.
*City High’s average ACT score was 24.6. The state of Iowa boasts the second highest average score in the United States, with a 22.1 average. 74% of our graduating seniors took the ACT.
*City High’s “The Little Hawk” student newspaper was named “Best in Show” at the National High School Press Association’s convention.
*City High’s Orchestra will travel to Europe this year.
*In 2012-13, nine City High sports teams qualified for their respective state level competition. Two teams played in their respective state championship games.
Connect: the CHAA's new vision
Welcome to the City High Alumni Association website. We hope you find it helpful for your alumni needs! Whether you are trying to plan a reunion for your class, wish to make a philanthropic donation toThe School the Leads, want renew your Alumni Association Membership, or just find a friend, the CHAA has what you seek.
Explore our site. Connect with the CHAA board. Connect with service work projects that are important to you. Connect with friends new and old on our Facebook group. Connect with current students through scholarships and facility improvement projects.
What can our organization do? With your assistance, the sky's the limit! Take a look at our information brochure by clicking here.
Last year, the City High Alumni Association gave five $1000 scholarships to exemplary students. This year, we'll do the same. Please join us as a member, or make a charitable contribution, and help keep the dream of higher education alive for City High's outstanding students, musicians, athletes, and citizens. Questions about making a donation, or becoming a member? Just ask the Board!
The Definitive History of City High Music Programs
Andrew Grove '09 is compiling stories and video for a book he is writing about the history of City High's Music Department. His father is Dr. Greg Grove of the City High Vocal Music Department. If you have stories or Music Department Trivia to share, please message him.
Here is the link to his YouTube channel of Music Department videos that he has compiled already....http://www.youtube.com/user/citymusic09?feature=mhee
Follow Principal John Bacon on Twitter
For those with Twitter accounts you can follow Principal Bacon: https://twitter.com/JBacon23
Tune in to Principal Bacon on KXIC
City High's Prinicpal John Bacon is joined by Solon and Mid Prairie principals on the first Wednesday of each month. Tune in to hear current events and happenings at City High starting around 8:15am. Listen at either 800AM, or online at http://www.kxic.com
Stand Up for City High Fund Raising Update:
We are pleased to report that the new concession stand, alumni viewing boxes, and restrooms will be open for Fall 2012 football season! In total, more than 345+ donors pledged over $700,000, but we're not through yet. If you'd like to donate, please contact the Stand Up campaign by calling City High at (319) 688-1040. Don't forget to thank your fellow alums for their fund raising efforts during their class reunions that took place this year!
A Note about e-Newsletters
If you have an AOL.com or me.com email address you'll need to 'whitelist'
in order to receive your electronic newsletter updates. If you have any questions, please contact us at the above email address. Additionally, some recipients cannot receive a newsletter because of th PDF attachment size. If you have NOT received Spring 2012 and/or Fall 2012 newsletter please contact
and I will make sure you can download it.
Lifetime, $150 one-time:
Or, tax-deductible chartible
giving to support our work
in any amount you like: